Alert, Alert. This post is going to sound a lot like it’s written by my Mum. Actually it could be anyone’s Mum. In actual fact, it is written by a Mum, come to think of it….me! This morning I’ve taken some time just to enjoy a couple of quiet moments to myself and write about something simple. I have been thinking a lot lately about how life has changed so very much in the seven years that Daniel and I have been together. In those seven years we have achieved a lot…. bought a house, engaged, married, children, renovation, promotions, starting a business and all a-whilst having a ball. That term ‘having a ball’ has also changed somewhat. It used to entail getting dressed up, going out on a Friday night, going away on a whim and generally spending money on ourselves… These days, my definition of having fun is very different. Sure I’d love to be able to go get dressed up and go out on the weekend, but I’ve realised that it is the simple things in life that really make me happy. It sounds all to smooshy and romantic I know, but when I actually think about the things that bring a smile to my face, some of them aren’t at all fancy. In fact they are pretty darn boring. But to a Mum, often the smallest things can feel amazing, and the most mundane tasks can bring about a sense of achievement. I’m not sure if that is good or bad, but if you are anything like me, then I think it’s better to see the good in the world…even if it is in the most mundane, boring parts of life like finding socks with pairs! Here’s my top ten…
1. Flowers that last longer than a week. I love flowers, but I really hate it when your gorgeous blooms go limp after a few days. Nothing is nicer than flowers that go the distance! 2. Candles. Candles, candles, candles. Nothing boring about this. They look beautiful and make the house smell amazing. Enough said.
3. Puzzles with complete pieces. This one is a major bug bear of mine. It makes me feel like I have OCD. Ella has so many puzzles and I love it when we find all the pieces to make a complete set. My boss gave her the most amazing alphabet puzzle when she was born, and I treasure each piece!!! 4. Cushions. I don’t know if it is a girl thing, but I’m a fan of cushions. Lots of them. The kind that look amazing and almost cover the entire couch / bed. Can’t help it.
5. Clean floors. Clean floors. Clean babies. Love it. Except the part when they get dirty 5 minutes after they are cleaned….
6. Freshly made bed. I heard recently that people who make their beds in the morning are more successful in life. I didn’t grow up this way, but have just recently become anal about making beds in the morning. There is something about a freshly made bed that makes you feel like you’ve achieved something! 7. A glass of champagne. No explanation needed for this one.
8. Pairs of socks. It never happens, but finding pairs of socks after a wash and not having any left over is like winning the lottery. Yesterday I threw out about twenty single socks that have not been re-acquainted with their pair. As a kid, my Mum used to sew a small colour into each sock so that she could tell whose were who. With four kids, it was a great idea. I struggle with two!!! 9. Photos. I take so many photos its crazy. I’m glad that I’ve taken the time to print a few and put them up in our home. There is something about walking past them each day and remembering the times they were taken. Artworks and prints are amazing, but there is nothing like photos to bring life to your home. 10. Smiles. I can’t really write a blog post about the simple things in life without finishing with the best of all. Smiles on my kids, smiles on my husband and family. Makes my heart melt. Nothing better.
What are your simple things??? What ever they are…I hope they bring you some happiness today!